Trucking Permits

Solutions Specialty Insurance Brokers

Undoubtedly trucking is one of the most regulated industries in the United States. There are federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations that affect those who operate commercial motor vehicles either for-hire or hauling their own cargo. Trucking companies are subject to environmental, safety and security laws and regulations administered by several federal and states agencies.

These government agencies have the authority to impose fines, penalties, suspend the licenses, permits, operations and even confiscate property of those trucking companies that are not in compliance.

Our agency has assisted hundreds of motor carriers and owner/operators to navigate, understand and comply with all those requirements. Our clients rely on us for those local, state and federal permits. Either you need a CA number, Motor Carrier Permit, Port Drayage and Intermodal Registration or need your own federal authority, let us put our expertise to work for you.

Every client has unique needs and goals and we focus on listening and providing customized solutions to reach those goals. Our emphasis is on solving our client’s problems without overspending on unnecessary licenses and permits.

Vehicle Registration

Since 2002 our company has been part of the California DMV Business Partner Automation (BPA) program. As part of the authorized BPA program, we have been able to save time and money to our clients and process many transactions in our office in minutes. Some of the transactions we can help you immediately for personal use vehicles in our offices are:

  • California Change of Ownership – Vehicles already registered in California
  • Out of state change of ownership – Vehicles coming from other U.S. States
  • Salvage Transactions
  • Duplicate Plates and stickers – Replacement of lost/damage plates and Stickers
  • Trailer transactions
  • California Title and duplicates – Replacement of California Certificates of Titles

We provide personalized service and expertise in your vehicle registration needs. Save time and money.

Apportioned Plates within 24 hours

Do you need California apportioned plates within 24 hours? Solutions Specialty Insurance Brokers is an authorized partner of the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and can streamline the process of Interstate registration of your commercial vehicles. We can issue apportioned plates, stickers and all necessary documents in our offices. If you need to establish a new apportioned account or have an existing one and need to add or delete vehicles, we can help you.

Fill out our free request a quote form on this page today or call us at 323-771-0777. We will be happy to hear your situation and recommend the appropriate solution available.

What is the International Registration Plan?

The International Registration Plan or simply IRP is an agreement among US States and provinces of Canada (jurisdictions) for the registration of commercial motor vehicles that operate in multiple jurisdictions. The motor carrier that has “apportionable vehicles” must register those vehicles in their base jurisdiction or where the established place of business is. This registration plan creates reciprocity and enables an efficient registration process for commercial motor vehicles in North America. A motor carrier electing not to register under this plan would need to obtain a temporary registration permit every time they travel to other states.

What is an Apportioned Vehicle?

An apportioned vehicle is defined as any power unit (no trailers and semi-trailers) that is used or intended for use in 2 or more jurisdictions and that is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and:

  • Has 2 axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, or
  • Has 3 or more axles, regardless of weight, or
  • Is used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds.

A motor carrier can also register vehicles with less than 26,000 lbs. under this plan, however, that is optional.

How is the apportioned registration paid?

First, every motor carrier (registrant) must register their vehicles in their base jurisdiction or the state of residence. Some of the elements that help to establish the state of residence are:

  • State or jurisdiction where the business or employment is located
  • State or jurisdiction where registered to vote
  • State of jurisdiction where renting or leasing a home for use as residence
  • State or jurisdiction of the driver license

Second, the registration fees are calculated and paid on the base state (jurisdiction) which issued plates, stickers and all credentials to be able to operate on an interstate basis.

California Motor Carrier Permit

The Motor Carrier Permit program in California is administered by the Department of Motor Vehicles and verifies compliance with the California Vehicle Code (CVC) section 34620. Those statutory requirements are established for all individuals and entities that transport property either for compensation (for-hire) or private using a commercial vehicle in California.

The California Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) program requires the applicant to obtain a CA# before applying for a MCP.

Who needs a Motor Carrier Permit?

There are many type of operations that need to obtain a Motor Carrier Permit (MC) prior to starting operations. Here are some of the most common situations:

  • An individual or entity that transports property within the state of California for compensation (for-hire) regardless of the vehicle size, weight and type.
  • An individual or entities that transport property within the state of California for compensation(for-hire) or own cargo or property operating a vehicle with a weight of 10,001 lbs. or more.

How to obtain a California Motor Carrier Permit

Fill out our free request a quote form on this page today or call us at 323-771-0777. We will be happy to hear your situation and recommend the appropriate solution available.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

The International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement among the forty-eight U.S. States and Canadian provinces created to handle the reporting of the fuel taxes by interstate motor carriers. This license simplifies the payment of fuel taxes for all jurisdictions traveled by the motor carrier in one state or province chosen as the “base jurisdiction”.

Who needs to obtain a California IFTA license

Trucking companies (motor carriers) qualify to obtain a California based IFTA license if they meet the following requirements:

  1. You operate a motor vehicle based in California and registered with the DMV.
  2. You perform your operations from an established physical location in the state of California. Therefore, California would be your “base jurisdiction”.
  3. You operate a qualified motor vehicle. A qualified motor vehicle is a vehicle that is used to transport passengers or property that has three or more axles, or
  4. A vehicle that has two axles and a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, or
  5. A vehicle that is used in combination with a trailer with more than 26,000 pounds.

If you operate a qualified motor vehicle and travel exclusively in California only, you are not required to hold an IFTA license.

Why should I obtain a California IFTA license

There are several advantages to trucking companies with interstate operations. Some of the advantages are:

  • Choose California as your “base jurisdiction”, all IFTA payments and documents are processed in California
  • You would obtain your California IFTA license and decals for all of your qualified motor vehicles. These documents would allow you to travel in all IFTA member jurisdictions.
  • File your quarterly IFTA reports with the state of California. You would report all mileage and fuel usage in one state.
  • IFTA license eliminates the need to purchase fuel trip permits to travel into or through each state.

How do I obtain a California IFTA license

Fill out our free request a quote form on this page today or call us at 323-771-0777. We will be happy to hear your situation and recommend the appropriate solution available.

Also, we can assist you with the new FMCSA Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate. The Electronic Logging Device (ELD) rule is effective on December 18, 2017, applies to most motor carriers and drivers who are currently required to maintain records of duty status (RODS) or known as log books, per Part 395, 49 CFR 395.8(a).

Other licensing and permits

  • New USDOT and updates
  • Interstate Federal Authority
  • BOC-3 Process Agent Form
  • USDOT Audits and Compliance
  • 2290 Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax
  • CA number
  • CA Employer Pull Notice (EPN)
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
  • New Mexico Weight Permit
  • Kentucky Weight Distance Permit (KYU)
  • Oregon Highway Use Tax
  • Intermodal / Port Permits
  • Hazardous Waste Permits

Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you with any question regarding your licensing and permits needs for your transportation company. Fill out our free request a quote form on this page today or call us at 323-771-0777.


Nuestro personal te explicará los detalles de los permisos que necesitas en tu idioma.


We are licensed to provide vehicle registration service to the public, but our office is not a branch of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

(Posting of this notice is required, per Section 11406(d), CVC)

O/L as Solutions Auto Insurance Registration

CA O/L License Number : 55345